Fundraising for your Real Break trip will be a new adventure! Orthodox Christian Fellowship's experience has been that very rarely do students NOT raise the total cost of their trip. In fact, they usually end up having over the amount that is needed. Below you will find some basic tips.
- Start Right Away! Although we are at the end of December, you could find donors who are looking to give before the end of the year for tax deduction purposes.
- It is okay to contribute some of your own funds. You will be asking many people to help support your participation in Real Break. So, do not be afraid to be a donor, too.
- Your family can be of great support to you. Make sure they are on board - they are a great resource to help in the process of fundraising.
This is how it works:
- All checks should be made payable to Orthodox Christian Fellowship
- If you would like to contribute to your trip, either include a check with your other donations or log onto your online registration to make a payment.
- Though the North American Office will be tracking your donations, you are ultimately responsible for knowing the amount of funds you have raised. Put together a good tracking system so that you stay on top of reaching your goal.
- Once you receive your donations, they should be immediately sent to the North American OCF Office at the following address:
Orthodox Christian Fellowship
50 Goddard Avenue
Brookline, Massachusetts 02445
- Have your donors send all checks and cash to you. You will then mail them to the North American OCF
Office, along with the donor forms. On the checks, please write in the Memo Field: RB 2012 - YOUR NAME.
- Remember, it is also important to send a thank you note to your donors once you have received funds.
For Trips to Constantinople, Guatemala, and Romania, your trip must be paid IN FULL by January 30, 2012
There will be NO exceptions to this policy.
If we do not receive your funds by the above date, your spot will be forfeited, and you will still be responsible for payment in full.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
If cancellation occurs, the participant will be responsible for all trip costs incurred up to that point. Cancellations must be received in writing to email@example.com. In case of a cancellation, the participant will pay the $150 non-refundable deposit to the North American Office. OCF reserves the right to use the credit card on file for any incurred costs.
If cancelled, Orthodox Christian Fellowship is not responsible for the domestic flight booked by the participant. In case of an international flight, the participant is not responsible for the flight if he/she cancels six weeks prior to the departure date. If the cancellation occurs less than six weeks prior to the trip, the RB participant must pay the international flight cost, as well as the $150 non-refundable deposit.
Letter of Appeal
- The mainstay of your fundraising effort will be to write a personal letter appealing to your relatives, friends, and even to churches in your local area.
- There is a suggested letter included in this packet, but it needs to be personalized and should include a self addressed stamped envelope.
- Your letter should be brief, and should request support for your involvement in the project. Mention why this trip is important to you and ask for their prayers.
- Invite anyone to contact either your priest or the Orthodox Christian Fellowship office for a better understanding of your participation.
- Remember to provide a Donation Support Form with your letter.
- Start with your parish priest. He knows you and will more than likely stand behind your fundraising efforts by approaching your parish to support you.
- You might ask your priest for his permission to speak to your congregation after Liturgy on a Sunday.
- You can ask church organizations, such as the Ladies' group, Parish Council, as well as teen and young adult groups, to allow you the opportunity to give a presentation and ask for support.
- Your priest can also help you appeal to other local or regional parishes and charitable organizations.
- Be honest in your presentations and share from the heart. Let your audience know that they will be sharing in your work by sending you on your Real Break trip.
Suggested Letter to Potential Donors
Prefix, First Name, Last Name
City, State Zip
Dear Prefix, Last Name,
This Spring Break I am making a change towards something real. I will be joining other Orthodox college students from all over North America in serving those in need from around the globe. This year, through Orthodox Christian Fellowship, I have the privilege to participate in Real Break - LOCATION. OCF is the official college ministry of the Assembly of Bishops and works to provide students with the means to stay connected to Christ and His Church while in college. I would like to ask you to join me and participate as well.
Real Break is an alternative spring break program designed to provide college students with life-transforming experiences that strengthen their faith and broaden their Christian world-view.
Real Break - LOCATION will be involved with [insert trip information from trip summary sheet including trip dates].
In order for me to participate in this program, I need to raise $X,XXX, which covers the cost of my transportation, food, lodging, and meals. This is why I am seeking your assistance. Please consider supporting me and participating in helping those in need by making a charitable donation today, made out to Orthodox Christian Fellowship with RB 2012 - My Name in the memo.
Enclosed you will find a reply form and envelope. Please return it to me no later than January 30, 2011. Thank you again for supporting me and participating in making a real change in the lives of the people struggling with poverty, despair and hopelessness through Real Break - LOCATION.
With much gratitude,
Sample Support Form
(Can be included as a separate sheet or a tear-off at the bottom of the letter)
Real Break 2012 Donation Form
Name of Real Break Participant: ______________________________________________________________________________
Real Break 2012 Trip: __________________________________________________________________________________________
YES, I wish to support Real Break to - LOCATION with my enclosed donation of $____________________.
YES, I wish to support the sustainability this vital campus ministry by donating an additional
$15 $10 $5 $______
YES, I will keep the entire Real Break team in my prayers.
City: ________________________________________ State: __________ Zip:____________
Email Address: _______________________________________________________________
Please make your tax-deductible donation, payable to:
"Orthodox Christian Fellowship"
and earmarked in the memo field "RB 2012-- YOUR NAME
Please return as soon as possible to:
Thank you for your gracious support!
Download Real Break 2012 Fundraising Essentials (Ms Word Format)