I’d like to take a moment to thank my sister, Emma Solak. She’s the current Chairwoman of the Student Leadership Board, and she has done such a job, one adjective could not possibly describe her wild success. Stellar and monumental come to mind. Ground-breaking, earth-shattering, awe-inspiring, and other hyphenated things.
But that’s just a biased brother’s opinion. More concretely, she held this position before me and really encouraged me to apply for it. Glory be to God for that. This position and this experience have been incredibly valuable for me, and without her, this opportunity may have passed me by.
That, I suppose, is my encouragement to you, OCF student. Don’t let the opportunity pass you by. Apply just in case. Apply if you’re unsure. Apply if you have even the slightest inkling that you may enjoy it. The last thing you want is to look back with regret.
In honor of the outgoing chairwoman, I’d like to compose a post in the spirit of her hallmark: really funny GIFs, all in a row. She could do a better job, most definitely. But here we go nonetheless.
9 Reasons To Apply To The SLB
1. You’ll be a great help to others
2. It will further your relationship with God
3. You’ll grow that ‘dox network
4. Christina, one of our directors, has really cute and funny kids that will occasionally pop into video calls
5. You may or may not get to hang out with me
6. Let’s be real: it won’t look bad on a resume
7. You’ll get to explain even more Orthodox stuff to your non-Orthodox friends
8. You’ll be (part of) the National (Student) Leader(ship Board) of a thing!
9. You’ll get to write this post next year
At the end of the day, there is no fence on which you should be. If you think there’s the tiniest chance you might want to, do it. Apply. It’s rad-tastic.